The Johannesburg Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (JSPCA) was established in 1902 and is one of the largest animal welfare organisations in the country.
- We operate as Johannesburg’s official City Pound, and accept all stray, abandoned, abused and confiscated animals.
- We have a very active education and outreach programme.
- We assist people who would like to adopt a pet from the JSPCA and have a special meet-and-greet area for this purpose.
- We do pre-adoption home checks to make sure that all adopted animals are going to safe and loving homes.
- SPCAs are obligated by law to admit any animal brought in. No animal may be turned away.