The Johannesburg Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (JSPCA) was established in 1902 and is one of the largest animal welfare organisations in the country.
Some interesting facts about us:
- We operate as Johannesburg’s official city pound, and accept all stray, abandoned, abused and confiscated animals.
- We have a very active education and outreach programme.
- We assist people who would like to adopt a pet from the JSPCA and have a special meet-and-greet area for this purpose.
- We do pre-adoption home checks to make sure that all adopted animals are going to safe and loving homes.
- SPCAs are obligated by law to admit any animal brought in. No animal may be turned away.
The Johannesburg SPCA is based in the suburb of Reuven, in the south of Johannesburg, where our offices, kennels, inspectorate and administration are situated. Our dedicated team works hard to protect animals, to improve animal welfare standards, to educate local communities about animal care, and to re-home stray and abandoned dogs and cats. We also monitor the treatment and well-being of working animals, farm animals and wild animals.
Members of our staff are on standby 24 hours a day to accept strays or stray injured animals and to attend to emergencies.
Our inspectors monitor and promote the welfare of animals in our area.
Mission and Values
The JSPCA (Johannesburg Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) believes that the value of animals exceeds economic measure. We share this world with animals and they are entitled to legal, moral and ethical consideration and protection. We fight to obtain rights for them and we fight to enforce these rights. The JSPCA is committed to the well-being of all animals in this region.
We believe in cultivating a community with an awareness of animals and respect for all living creatures.
The JSPCA is a registered non-profit organisation (NPO: 000-559) and Public Benefit Organisation (PBO 13/00/00/621). The society receives no government funding and relies on the support of caring and compassionate individuals and corporates to continue operating. We depend on corporate sponsorships, donations and bequests to fund our work. We welcome all contributions in all forms.
The Johannesburg SPCA is located in Reuven Johannesburg. We are fortunate to have 127 dog kennels, 30 cat kennels as well as kennels for boarding by the public. We have a farm animal field with stables that house our rescued farm animals. Other facilities on our site include;
- Charity shop
- Kennels for boarding
- Animal hospital for sterilization