Johannesburg SPCA

Poison awareness month

Most people tend to think of poison as something sinister but did you know that there are seemingly harmless foods that can be extremely dangerous for dogs and cats?

We put a list of these together to help you identify what NOT to give your dog or cat.

Some of the items below might seem like common knowledge but we we want to share because many people believe that they are doing their dogs a favour by giving them bones when often they end up getting stuck in their throats or stomachs.

Poisonous foods for Dogs

Dangerous Plants and your Dog

Poisonous Foods for Cats

In the same way many of us were taught to give cats milk when in actual fact milk is not good for cats and can cause a variety of problems. Check out this list of problematic and poisonous items for cats;

Here are some easy tips for preventing your cat from eating dangerous and toxic foods:

  • Store foods out of your cat’s reach. Installing cat-proof locks on cabinets may be necessary for a curious kitty.
  • Do not let your cat on the counter while you’re cooking or eating.
  • Do not feed your cat table scraps.
  • It is especially important to be more mindful during mealtimes when there is likely more enticing people food around, much of which can upset your cat’s tummy or even harm her.

Poisonous Plants and your Cat

There are a variety of plants that can be extremely harmful to your cat. These include;

  • Daffodils
  • Lilies
  • Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow’s
  • Nightshade
  • Cannabis
  • Caster Oil Plant
  • Honeysuckle
  • Oleander
  • Foxglove
  • And More!

Did you know that Lilies in the “true lily” and “daylily” families are very dangerous for cats! The entire lily plant is toxic: the stem, leaves, flowers, pollen, and even the water in a vase. … And if treatment is delayed by 18 hours or more after ingestion, the cat will generally have irreversible kidney failure!

What to do if you suspect your pet has eaten something poisonous?

If you see your dog or cat eating a plant and you are uncertain if it is poisonous, or if you even suspect that your cat ate such a plant, do the following before you take him to your veterinarian:

  1. Remove any plant material from your animal’s hair, skin and mouth if you can do so safely.
  2. Keep your pet confined in a safe environment for close monitoring and watch for abnormal symptoms

1 thought on “Poison awareness month”

  1. Mkukwana Mzwakali

    I am struggling to train my dogs not to eat plants.l bought some garden repellent, but to no vain. I am so worried 😞.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Stay connected!

Subscribe to all the latest JSPCA news and other informative content about your fluffy friends